Tuesday 16 February 2016

Day 4 - Snowshoeing and Extreme Sledging

After the long walk into town with equipment in tow, our group spent the first half of the day sledging, although some did spend more time in the snow then on the sledge with the fog looming making some tracks difficult to find but making the routes that more interesting. After a quick stop for lunch we headed out in our snow shoes to navigate some steep down sloping hills, and it's safe to say everyone, including me, found ourselves buried in snow once again at least once. 
(Hannah Hughes)

Many of the team were pretty impressed with the snowshoeing after expecting "oh it's just another walk" and came back with, "it was really cool when you got the knack", "running was so easy and fun" and "I really want to try that again". A snippet can be found here https://vimeo.com/155582927

The Richard Scout Award 
Today went to Tom Wilson who explained his version of events...
Visibility was poor. The track was bumpy. Crashing was inevitable. What I didn't anticipate however, was the attack from above from the rest of the group.  In my attempt to retain full functionality of my lower legs, I quickly moved to the side of the track. My mistake.  I followed my sledge with a sense of dread as is slid down the slope. 200 metres and minimal progress later, my sledge slid down from the side of the track. In desperation, and the vague hope that it would stop in the deep snow, I dived after.  I was wrong. My sledge continued through the 2ft snow before finally coming to a halt on the ski piste 50 metres below.  With a face full of snow, I continued down the slope, dreading the possibility of a skier crashing into my now somewhat estranged sledge. Fortunately this did not happen. Unfortunately, visibility was now very low. Finally I reached my sledge, and began my ascent up to the track. To the echoing laughter of my supportive colleagues I returned to the track, exhausted and embarrassed, thus earned now me the title of Richard.


Heaven knows what Our Chalet put in the dinner tonight but everyone was super hyper. Evening entertainment was officially an "evening off" but we all took over the T Bar and continued to share our musical and comedic talents with an awesomely great bunch of people.

Finally Matthew came out, and admitted he has not had a shower since arriving here!


With far too many pictures to share we selected a few below...

















No comments:

Post a Comment